Student VISA: Your last step for MIAM

These are 3 aspects that International Students need to have in mind when  planning on studying abroad.


study abroad

If you are an International student, do not worry, ISAM team will lead you through all the process until you arrive in Spain.

COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we see things and embrace opportunities. Therefore, students that apply for MIAM in the middle of a pandemic are those brave leaders who are going to define the future of agriculture.

Here, you can find 3 important aspects to have in mind if you have already applied for MIAM: 

1. Do I need to apply for a Student VISA?

Once you have completed your application process at ISAM , it’s time that you get in touch with the Admissions team to manage your VISA application procedures.

Even though the ISAM team will help you and guide you through all the steps that you have to take until you arrive in Spain, you need to be aware of the requirements for students that are going to study abroad in this country.

These requirements change depending on the country you come from. For example, if you are going to enroll in MIAM and you come from a country of the European Union, your passport will be enough to enter the country.
However, if you come from a non-EU country, you need to apply for a long-term Student Visa.

Long-term Student VISA

This type of VISA is aimed at students that are going to stay in Spain for more than 6 months and for educational reasons, like enrolling the Master in International Agribusiness Management. Also, apart from applying for this type of VISA, these are other particular things that you need to do:

  • Applying for a student residence card at an immigration office within a month after arriving.
  • Providing a medical certificate and a certificate of no criminal conviction
  • Showing proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay (bank statements).


As you may have noticed, this type of VISA involves more paperwork than the short-term ones. So, if you want to study MIAM it’s time for you to apply. We must make sure that all these documents are ready before September 17th!

2. What can/can't I do with my Student VISA?

When you move to a different country, you are allowed to stay there for a reason, for a certain period, and this also implies that you have certain limitations about what you can or can’t do.

A Spain Student Visa allows you to study or train and, also, to work as an unpaid intern for more than three months in Spain. As we mentioned before, EU and Swiss citizens are free to go to Spain to study without a VISA.

In the case of MIAM, you have to complete a mandatory internship and, as you see, this will be undoubtedly compatible with your Student VISA.

Work options with a Student VISA

With a Student VISA, you will not be allowed to have a paid job, but if you find one, your employer could obtain a work permit from the Foreign Office in order for you to start working.

However, something that you need to bear in mind is that the employment contract cannot exceed the duration of the Student VISA.

If once you have finished your studies you wish to start a paid internship in Spain, you can apply for the Residence authorization for internships in Spain. This will allow you to stay in the country for the duration of your internship.

internship in Spain

3. Sanitary requirements to enter Spain

Given the fact that the world is experiencing a pandemic and regulations change frequently, here is what you need to know if you are coming to Spain in the next few weeks.
Anyone who crosses Spain’s borders must present a negative Covid PCR test with less than 72 hours or a Covid certificate with QR code once the information of the flight is available and up to 48 hours before coming to Spain.

Moreover, all travelers need to obtain the Health Control Form (FCS) to enter Spain and make sure that they understand the restrictions in place formulated by the Spanish government.

MIAM students, it seems tough but with your determination and passion for Agribusiness, these inconveniences are minor challenges to overcome in your path to success.

  • Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Visados y restriccioens de entrada en España por COVID-19: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/embajadas/astana/es/embajada/serviciosconsulares/paginas/visados1010-1190.aspx
  • Spain VISA: Spain Student VISA. https://www.spainvisa.eu/visa-types/student-visa/
  • Immigration Lawyers Spain. Residence authorization for internships in Spain: https://www.immigrationspain.es/en/residence-authorization-internship/
ISAM Academy

Más lecturas